This manual is a tutorial of the coaching for sport performance series for coaches, teachers, parents or player who wants to improve their knowledge on planing a practice session and teach sport skills for sport performance.
This manual is part of a three-day course delivered in line with the Long Term Coaches Development (LTCD) in order to drive the Long Term Participation Development (LTCD) framework as stipulated by Sport and Recreation South Africa (SRSA) and South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC).
qualifying learner achieving this unit standard in combination with context
expertise standard(s) will be able to plan series of sport practice sessions
and use effective methods of instruction to help performers learn skills at the
beginner and intermediate levels.
In addition, the learners will be well-positioned to extend their learning and practice to other areas where the aspects of planning and teaching are used to initiate understanding of skills, or to strive toward unit standards and practice at higher levels.
Competent qualifying learners will be able to work effectively with groups and individuals in sport instruction settings, thus accelerating the rate of sport skill development as well as raising the standard of sport performance in general.
On achievement of this unit standard the learner will understand and be able to:
- Explain and descripe motor skill development
- Design progressions for skill learning appropriate to the type(s) of skills and the level of skillfulness of the learner.
- Design practice activities that develop the underlying sensory-perceptual skills/abilities that support skill learning in sport.
- Present a series of practice sessions that follow a progression designed to help beginners and intermediate athletes improve performance in a sport.
- The game sense approach
- Creating and maintaining a positive learning environment
- Design progressions for skill learning appropriate to the type(s) of skills and the level
- Design practice activities that develop the underlying sensory-perceptual skills/abilities
- Present a series of practice sessions that follow a progression designed to help beginners
- Present a series of practice sessions that follow a progression designed to help performers
- Integrate tactical learning with skill learning in the “games sense” approach to sport
- Utilise effective methods for creating and maintaining a positive learning environment